Ondine: The Summer of Shambles by Ebony McKenna


.



This is a brilliantly witty fairy tale with a mystery that is as surreal as it is sinister. One girl. One boy. One spell to be broken. Ondine de Groot is a normal fifteen-year-old who lives with her family in the European country of Brugel. She has a pet ferret called Shambles. But Shambles is no ordinary ferret...He's Hamish McPhee, a boy cursed by a witch. A witch who happens to be related to Ondine. When Shambles turns back into Hamish temporarily, Ondine knows that she has to help him break the spell. He is the most gorgeous boy she has ever met and her one true love! He just can't remain a ferret forever. Can he? (via Goodreads)

Ohh, it has been such a long time since I actually wrote a review even though I read tons since my last. But, I just needed the book to get me ... well to put it bluntly to get me all : KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
And this amazing book made it for me.

I did cut my sleeping hours so I wouldn't have to cut the study hours (damned finals) to read this book in one sitting. And I did it. After it came on the rainiest day and after circling it with a giddy feeling in me I was lost in its pages.

Ondine was a great character to relate too and she makes it so easy, in her relationship with her family, with Hamish and even on her crush for Vincent.
And Hamish/Shambles is just pure gold with his Scottish accent and slang and curses :))

What I really loved was what a great role had the family in this book. Usually you get parents shipped in another country, killed, indifferent and completely oblivious of their child's life. But here they were there in the front lines and I loved it.

My heart is still fuwa fuwa after this read and I can't wait for a new adventure from Ebony McKenna.

Random quotes I loved
cuz if I would put them all up it would be best if I just gave the book)

"I'm nae rodent, ye bampot, I'm a ferret. Completely different." - Shambles

Bampot - Silly person, Daftie

"Pinch me, I'm dreaming. The girl lives in a pub!" - Shambles

"I need ye tae stick around and help me, because I think I'm losing my social skills" - Shambles

Fooftnote: Pure denial. Shambles lost his social skills years ago.

"Lucky we're not Catholic, or he'd have shipped us off to the nunnery." - Ondine
"Don't give him ideas. He'd convert us all in a heartbeat." - Cybelle

Footnote: How to judge parental mood by the name they call you. e.g Ondi = Ma in a good mood. Ondine = Ma is busy. Ondine de Groot = Ma is really narked. Ondine Benedicte Wilhelmina de Groot = Ma's just walked in on Ondine's standing over a dead body with a bloody knife in her hand.