TYGER TYGER - Kersten Hamilton


.



So it goes like this. We have Teagan who has a great job at the zoo, is worried about her future and has no boy in that equation. Now add the amazing BFF Abby, who has dreams. Dreams that make her scared for Teagan’s fate: shape shifting creatures, goblins, all hunting for her best friend.
Enter Finn Mac Cumhaill, Irish hunk with killer accent and knee weakening smile, which also seems to know about these creatures that Abby has been dreaming, and is ready to fight them. What is his connection with Abby’s dreams, the painting of Teagan’s mother, and the legend of Fionn mac Cumhaill the mythical hunter-warrior?


Synopsis, definitely not make this book justice for some reason. I left it to luck when I ordered the book, or maybe instinct. I saw promises of Celtic myths in there and I just went on and pre-ordered it. And my instincts were right this time, because it exceeded my expectations.

I’m a sucker for Irish myths, Irish accents, Irish characters and of course Irish boys. So Tyger Tyger was right up my alley. Read it in one sitting and grrrd when I reached the last page because I wanted more. The mythology was great, the Creatures of the books ( I assume Fay some kind of Fay of the Otherworld) are not that cute and sparkly as you may think faeries and all that are. Goblins are bad, and that is that.

What I really liked for starters was the family relationship. They were just heartwarming to read about them together. The librarian dad, the artist mom, oh cute singing Aiden and Teagan who was such a great sister to him, protecting and always loving. Yes, they were hallmark family…till one point which broke my heart, but I won’t spill the beans.

Secondly, Abby! Man, I loved this girl so much. I sometimes don’t really like the BFF’s in the books, since they seem to exist there so they won’t make the lead girl be socially awkward. But Abby went straight to my heart, with her crazy Italian family not to mention the Ninja Turtles cousins ( I love the Ninja Turtles! If I ever get a car I will name it after them, but not my kids…or who knows). She had me laughing like crazy with her amazing antiques ( Mercutio was a vampire, Holly Water anyone…and the awesome Shakesrear! Thank you, Thank you very much!)

Aiden, 6 year old little sing bird afraid of Elvis Impersonators. WIN!!!! He was innocent, cute, brave and just loving.

And well, Finn. The Irish McSteamy that makes Abby overprotective about her friend. Holly Water won’t harm him, just so you know. (No vampires here so go back to your coffins or jewelry stores.) What can be best other than a boy, who is handsome, who is a fighter, protective, has an Irish accent and ready to change your plans? Tehe! I can even let it pass the fact that he is not “much for books”.
His interactions with Teagan were great, even after his ... ahh, not saying that. Just saying, he is a guy who know what he wants, from the start. And knows how to protect it, even if it might hurt him. What not to like?

Tyger Tyger is the first book from The Goblin Wars. I am pretty sure I will be pre-ordering the next one as soon as it is available.



QUOTES \^o^/

Teagan - How long has it been since you read a book that didn't have vampires in it?
Abby - They write books with no vampires? Wait...the penguins made us read that Shakesrear guy, right?
Teagan - Shakespeare
Abby - Whatever. I'm pretty sure Mercutio was a vampire. He had the attitude, you know? He just never got a chance to show his fangs.


Mr. Wylltson - When I meet someone who says they're not "much for books," I can guarantee that they haven't met the right book yet.

Finn - You're just the right size for hugging. That's nice to know.

2 Responses to “TYGER TYGER - Kersten Hamilton”

  1. Test says:

    Great review! I absolutely loved this one as well. Kersten is a really great author, isn't she?

  2. A.M Bells says:

    Yes she is. I am happy I got the book and for sure I will read more from her in the future. Irish LOVE