The Iron King + Winter's Passage by Julie Kagawa


.

Book one and 1.5 Novella of the series "Iron Fey". Woot woot! I've been meaning to read the series for a while now. And as expected I read the first one and the novella in my spare day from exams. Ohh yeah! I go wild when I get a breathing moment from them! I READ BOOKS!
Sooo. What is it about! DUH! Faeries! This isn't the faerie year for nothing.



Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart. (Via Goodreads)


This book was bound to be read in high speed roller-coaster ride. The idea of the Iron Fey is amazing and something I have not read before. It was a nice change and of course I loved the anime references ( Myself being and Otaku...faery. ) And I always love to see so much dedication for family in books. Meghan is a wonderful person and sister, and put herself in line for her little brother without a second thought.

Another surprise I had and a pleasant one at that, was Puck. Every time I imagined Puck either if he appeared in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" or "Wondrous Strange"
by Lesley Livingston I always had this image of an older man in my head. To switch from that to a foxy youngster was brilliant. I was fond of him from the very beginning.

Still, I am a TEAM ASH girl. Sorry Puck! Ash, oh Ash. Be still my heart. Thank you for making it so that when I hear Ash I won't be thinking of Pokemon. Aside from that, I was a sucker for Ash immediately. Tall, dark, icy and with silver eyes? What is not to like? And his feud with Puck was a nice twist in the story. But it takes Summer's heat to melt ice, right?

His (Prince of Winter 'Unseelie' Court) developing romance with Meghan (Half off-spring of the Summer 'Seelie' King) is sweet but yet heart reaching. Yes, it is your usual star-crossed love, but it's beautiful and not so dumb-witted as suicidal Romeo X Juliet. I have a feel these two will not give up so easily.

This series had easily made it's way on to favorite shelf.

QUOTEEEEEEES \^o^/

Meghan - “You’ve gone off the deep end. Time to cut back on the anime, Rob. There’s no such thing as faeries.”

“I’m a…an otaku faery,” I said, drawing a confused scowl from the chief and bewildered looks from the rest of the camp


Puck - “Ladies and felines,” he stated grandly, grasping the doorknob,“welcome to Tir Na Nog. Land of endless winter and shitloads of snow.”

Ash - "Touch her, and I'll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?"



Winter's Passage is a bridge novella between "Iron King" and "Iron Daughter". Heading for the Winter Court Megan and Ash are tracked by an ancient, powerful hunter. One that even Ash has some tough time fighting with.

We see a new side of Ash in this one in the little time he shows it. He is kind, protective. He and Meghan had a too little time to actually be together but it was sweet and emotional.

QT - Summer and Winter were not supposed to fall in love. T_T

OMG - How dare I forget about Grimalkin?

The amazing, the fantastic and clever yet adorable Cat Sìth! Whom I have to admit, at first he was a she. :D Grimalkin is a brilliant sidekick/companion/voice of reason/cat

A.M Bells