FIRELIGHT - Sophie Jordan


.



I’ve read my first book in the first day of the 2011. Woot! And that was Firelight by Sophie Jordan, a book with dragoooooons. Well, actually draki!
I’ve only read only one other book involving dragons and that is You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (I’m stalling Eragon for some reason) and it was quite different from this one.
I already declared year 2011 a year of dragons and fair-folk, so even if I am going to read a lot of Debut Authors and of course books from series I’ve been following, I will concentrate a lot more on dragons and faeries. ^_^
So let’s see what’s crack-a-lackin' with Firelight.

Jacinda is a draki, a descendant of dragons and a very special one. She is a the only fire draki in centuries. She’s a special draki, but being special is not always good as she will see. So her mother takes her and her sister Tamra, and flee the pride. She hopes that the draki inside her daughter will fade and they will all live normally.
Struggling in a mortal world that fit her sister and mother perfectly, her only silver lining is Will. Or is he? From a family of dragon hunters, Will is her most feared enemy, but love has other plans. They are the mythical Romeo and Juliet. Hopefully they won’t end up the same way.


Firelight lived up to the praise it got even before the official release. With a gorgeous cover and amazing action and characters, no wonder I read it in less than a day.
I would have picked on the fact that I predicted a lot of developments, but I guess that was because I read so many books. It’s like after you read 18 of Agatha Christie books and you get a knack on figuring the killer as you read more and more. (And she has a lot of books.)
And even if it seemed rushed, the connection and the falling in love actually makes sense as you read. Can’t say the reasons but there are.

What I really liked about it was the struggle of the draki inside her. I’ve never had a draki inside of me (wished though) but I can imagine is not easy to keep in control such a being that defines everything that you are. And that struggle combined with keeping away from the boy that you want to be close...well let’s just say you empathize. It was believable and I guess that is the target of all writers. Congrats Sophie Jordan, you’ve hit your target.

Also what I also liked the straight forwardness of it. I mean is it not so complicated to say: "You want to go out?" he asks suddenly.
I blink. "As in a date?"
"Yes. That's what a guy usually means when he asks that question."
A lot more effective than stalking (well, Will did his part of stalking and all, but we’ll leave him alone because that was his strike 1).
All in all, Firelight was really worth it. And the cliffhanger was a nightmare.

A.M Bells

2 Responses to “FIRELIGHT - Sophie Jordan”

  1. Nicole says:

    That sounds interesting. I have to buy it ASAP. :)

  2. Test says:

    Oh, I know the cliffhanger was the WORST! Though, I loved this book and can't wait to read the sequel. Thanks for the great review!